National Day of Encouragement
Yesterday marked the 13th annual National Day of Encouragement.
Its purpose is to encourage people to encourage others.
You never know how you can shape someone’s day or how you might be able to turn someone’s day around.
Were you ever having a rough day and a co-worker complimented you? Maybe a classmate told you that your presentation was great. Maybe a co-worker, sibling, or friend told you to keep up the great work.
It costs little to nothing to encourage someone, but it can impact someone’s day, week, or even life unimaginably.
Here a few simple ideas on how you can encourage someone:
- Write them a simple note and put it in their work mailbox, on their desk, or send via email
- Give them a small gift, such as a flower or notepad
- Invite them to lunch and talk with them. A listening ear is all someone needs sometimes!
- In an encouraging manner, give them advice on how they can stay on top of their goals
At SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney, we are confident you will be able to inspire and encourage someone every day!
Meet SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney at Community Night
Did you know Olney Chamber of Commerce has been actively serving the Olney community and supporting local businesses for over 50 years?
They will be hosting their 40th Annual Olney Chamber of Commerce Community Night at Our Lady of Good Counsel on Monday, October 14 from 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Check out exhibitor tables and demonstrations, including ours, sample food from favorite local restaurants, and participate in raffles, a 50/50, and the silent auction. With attendance expected in the thousands, you’re bound to see familiar faces.
Invite your friends to attend this event with you! This is the perfect time to socialize with neighbors and connect with others from your community. You’ll have the chance to meet and talk with local businesses and discover what’s right around the corner from your home.
At SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney, community means more than just a group of people living in close proximity. Community is home. It’s where you feel a sense of belonging and mutual trust.
To best serve the needs of our community, we get to know you personally. We take time to learn the unique concerns our Rockville-Olney neighbors have in order to best accommodate and serve them.
Please stop by our booth to enter in a raffle! We hope to see you October 14th.
You do not have to RSVP for this event.
What You Need to Know as Fall is Approaching
Can you believe we are in the last few weeks of summer? As the heat dissipates, the cooler, dry fall air moves in. On its way out, the humidity mixes with the drier air that’s on its way in. The encounter results in an increase of thunderstorms.
Gusty winds, heavy rainfall, and lightening are among the most common characteristics of a thunderstorm. When a thunderstorm updraft has enough strength to carry water to an area with below-freezing temperatures, hailstones begin to form. When the hailstones become too heavy for the updraft to hold, they are released, and that is when hail falls to the ground.
Damages caused by the winds, rainfall, lightening, and hail can have devastating effects on your property.
Post-storm damages are not limited to, but can certainly include water, fire, and even mold damages.
If you have experienced any problems, either residential or commercial, SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney will get you back on your feet fast with our extensive knowledge and quick action guarantee.
If you want to ensure you don’t face any stormy issues this season, give us a call at (301) 340-1313, and we will help prepare and protect your property this fall!
How to Prepare Your Property for the Fall Season
Happy September! It’s important to get your home ready for the change of weather. Below are a few tips for how to prepare your home for fall.
- Test safety devices: Are your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide devices working? Batteries often time die during the winter months as cold temperatures slow or ultimately stop the chemical reactions (the power source) inside the battery.
- Clean your humidifier: Failure to clean humidifiers can result in growth of mold, bacteria, and certain germs.
- Eliminate drafts: Ensure cold air can’t seep through your windows. If you feel a draft, you should consider replacing seals or purchasing sturdier drapery.
- Inspect trees: Are there any broken, overgrown or suspicious limbs? Become a branch detective! Ensure no branches are too close to power lines (which can cause a fire) or to your roof.
- Organize your shed: Clear your garage of summer equipment, furniture, etc. and move it into the shed! Swap your summer items out for fall items for easier access.
- Secure all loose outdoor furniture and prepare to store them inside: Wind gusts blow over your outdoor furnishings, flower pots, parked bicycles, etc. Snow and heavy rains can damage your properties too. If you must leave certain items outside, consider chaining or roping them to a secure foundation.
Make sure the following aspects of your property are clean:
- The roof
- The chimney and fireplace
- The siding
- The gutters
- The water drainage
- The pipes and spouts
Keep in mind that preventative maintenance is cheaper than emergency repairs and damage!
If you need help safeguarding your home, SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney is here to offer you there service and expertise. Give us a call at (301) 340-1313.
Is Black Mold Growing in Your Home or Office?
This mold is growing on the wall inside a room.
We’ve all heard of black mold, but what exactly is it? Take a look at our website to find out, then return to this blog post to discover how you can identify black mold in your own home or office.
One of the most obvious signs happens to be scent. Have you smelled something earthy or musty? Think of a late fall’s odor of rotting leaves or the smell of dirt on a rainy spring day.
Next, consider the environment in which you suspect the mold is inhabiting, and ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the area damp?
- Has the area previously been flooded?
- Does it get little to no exposure to light?
Black mold feeds off water-saturated materials such as cotton, drywall, cardboard, and wood. It even thrives off of damp dust and lint.
If the scent of the mold leads you straight to where it is festering, examine the color but don’t get too close. In color, black mold is typically greenish-black and a bit slimy. However, it can also appear grayish and powdery.
Note other molds may appear similar in color, so it is impossible to determine which breed of mold is growing in your property unless it is examined under a microscope.
At the end of the day, this examination is expensive and unnecessary because whether it is black mold or not, mold must be removed for health and sanitary purposes.
If you detect mold, regardless of its color or texture, call the professionals to have it removed.
SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney is an experienced and trusted company that will get the job done promptly and carefully.
Call us at (301) 340-1313 today!
September is National Preparedness Month
September is National Preparedness Month. This year, ready.gov calls us to be “Prepared, Not Scared.”
Did you know you can:
- Download applications on your phone for weather alerts and updates?
- Create a financial plan with consideration of a potential storm or other act of nature?
- Check to see your insurance’s coverage for damages caused by an act of nature?
- Learn more about how to protect your assets, potentially by investing in flood insurance?
- Take a course or independently research about how to ensure safety during a storm or other event?
The list could go on as there are endless precautions one can take, in addition to the rapid increase of technology. With that being said, SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney makes it easy for clients to be “Prepared, Not Scared,” as we stay up-to-date with the latest procedures and techniques to ensure your home or office is ready to face the potential natural force in its path.
Waiting for a storm to pass through before asking for help can have disastrous effects on your property and can leave you and your family overwhelmed.
It is important to know that creating a plan and taking preventative measures will impact your safety and your wallet for the better, but sometimes, these emergencies cannot be foreseen.
Luckily, SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney offers 24-hour Emergency Service provided by highly trained weather-related damage specialists who are equipped with stellar knowledge and skill. You can rest assure knowing SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney will demonstrate their mastery over acts of nature. You can remain confident as they restore any damages on your property. See our website below for more details.
Please call (301) 340-1313 if you want to plan for an emergency or if you have damage from an emergency that needs to be fixed.
Why Your Business Needs SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
Did you know up to 50% of businesses afflicted by a disaster will never reopen? The statistic may be shocking, but what isn’t very surprising is that the vast majority of the surviving businesses had previously established a preparedness plan.
If you read our previous blog, you’ll recall September is National Preparedness Month. A weekly theme is presented each Sunday of the month. As we are entering September, let’s expound on this week’s theme titled “Save Early for Disaster Costs.”
Prevention saves a lot of time, energy and money. Who wouldn’t like saving all three, right?
Unfortunately, all catastrophes cannot be prevented, which means it is imperative to have an emergency plan set just in case an unexpected event occurs.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan application works to prevent situations from escalating. The app, designed for commercial use, is marketed towards property and risk managers and towards business owners.
Some benefits of the app include:
- An assessment at no charge
- A Profile Document containing only necessary information geared for a time of emergency
- A quick reference for you and your employees (especially if the owner/manager is away on a business trip, for example).
- A free guide outlining important steps to take post-disaster
- A connection and direct contact with your local SERVPRO
As mentioned, SERVPRO clients are offered this service free of charge. After downloading the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan application onto an electronic device, a SERVPRO employee will meet with the client to map the property they own or manage.
Mapping the territory includes, but is not limited to, making note of water pipes, crawl spaces, and fire exits. Information such as the square footage of the building and photographs of the property are collected and stored in the app as well.
Although gathering and recording this information on the app may sound like a lengthy process, employees have noted they can finish the plan in about 30 minutes. Additionally, owners can go back into the app and add more detail or update over time. There’s nothing to lose, and everything to gain!
If you prepare for the future, you will “Save Early for Disaster Costs.” Utilizing tools to prevent damage, to prevent lose, and to prevent losing your business to a disaster, is one of the best ways to ensure the
“health” of what you own or manage.
It’s simple, and it’s free. Save now to avoid large costs later.
Download the application in the App Store or from the link below:
Please call SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney at (301) 340-1313 regarding any questions you may have about the Emergency Ready Plan or for any additional questions or needs.
Clean Dryer Vents
34% of home fires are caused by failure to clean the vent in a dryer. A lint fire is a dangerous possibility. To avoid the hazard on lint buildup, occasionally pull out the vent and clean. Thoroughly dry the lint screen with a clean towel. You can also use a vacuum to clean the lint trap filter. SERVPRO® of Rockville/Olney can help clean dryer vents and ducts that may have lint buildup.
National Fire Protection Agency gives us advice on how to keep your vents clean. Clean the lint filter before and after each load. It is vital to clean your dryer vents every so often to ensure your safety.
Here are some signs that your dryer vent may need to be cleaned:
- Drying times are taking longer.
- Your dryer is getting hot when you’re using it and your clothes are being damaged.
- You can’t see any steam or head any noise outside your house at the wall vent when you run the dryer.
SERVPRO wants to make sure you are taking the right precautions to avoid a house fire. If you do experience a fire caused by your dyer or any other appliances in your home call us today!
Flames or Soot?
SERVPRO® of Rockville/Olney was recently called in to clean up a fire damaged building/home. Restoring a home after fire damage is a difficult and emotional process. Not only are we here to be there for your property but for your family as well.
Flames can cause the most visible damage to your property but the most damage comes from the smoke and soot. Soot is a coating of fine, black dust created when substances are burned. Inhaling soot can cause severe health issues. It is important to our team that we get rid of all the after-effects of the fire including damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Rockville/Olney will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will be based on which type of smoke damage there is. Below are the different types of smoke:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore, smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire.
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Call SERVPRO® of Rockville/Olney when you are in need of cleaning after fire strikes. We know it is hard seeing your home in flames and we are here to restore it the best we can.
Summer Storm Planning
SERVPRO® of Rockville/ Olney wants you to be ready for summer storms. While we hope that summer just consists of vacations and sunny days that is not always the case. A summer storm happens quite often in Maryland. There are many possibilities of damage from summer storms whether that is…wind, heavy rain, and lightning. Wind causes constructional damage to your home, heavy rain can lead to flooding and if lightning strikes on your home or business it is at risk of a fire.
If you know a storm is coming, take these initiatives to ensure safety. Think ahead!
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage.
- Shutter windows and secure outside doors.
- Unplug any electronic equipment.
During the storm, remain calm and be aware.
- Use your battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio for updates from local officials.
- Avoid contact with cords.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
After the Storm, BE SAFE! It may not be storming anymore but the damage can still affect you.
- Never drive through a flooded roadway.
- Stay away from storm-damaged areas to keep from putting yourself at risk.
- Stay away from downed power lines and report them immediately to 911.
If you are caught off guard to a dangerous storm during the night, don’t stress we are a 24 Hour Emergency Service and we will make your home look “Like it never even happened”. Our team is specially trained to deal with the mess of a storm. Let us be the experts that you need in your time of crisis.