Recent Fire Damage Posts

Flames or Soot?

7/17/2019 (Permalink)

SERVPRO® of Rockville/Olney was recently called in to clean up a fire damaged building/home. Restoring a home after fire damage is a difficult and emotional process. Not only are we here to be there for your property but for your family as well.

Flames can cause the most visible damage to your property but the most damage comes from the smoke and soot. Soot is a coating of fine, black dust created when substances are burned. Inhaling soot can cause severe health issues. It is important to our team that we get rid of all the after-effects of the fire including damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.

Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Rockville/Olney will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will be based on which type of smoke damage there is. Below are the different types of smoke:

Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber

  • Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.

Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood

  • Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore, smoke rises.

Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire.

  • Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.

Call SERVPRO® of Rockville/Olney when you are in need of cleaning after fire strikes. We know it is hard seeing your home in flames and we are here to restore it the best we can.

Stay Safe This Fourth of July

7/1/2019 (Permalink)

Summer is traditionally known for fireworks, barbeques, and picnics with loved ones.

While putting on a firework show at your own home may seem fun, there are many risks. If lighting fireworks are not legal in your residential area there could be a large fine. As well as a fine, keep in mind the potential dangers that could occur. Fireworks can result in severe burns, blindness, and scars. Kids should not be near or handling the firecrackers or rockets. Supervise children around fireworks at all times. To avoid the dangers of fireworks, enjoy a public firework display put on by professionals.

If you choose to give your children sparklers never leave children unattended with sparklers. It is possible to get burned by the tip of the sparkler. Make sure your children do not point the sparklers towards themselves or others. Keep a bucket of water near for when your child is finished with the sparkler to ensure that the sparkler is no longer lit.

Not only should you be cautious of your children with fireworks and sparklers but your pets too! Leave your pets inside your home so there are no risks. Loud fireworks and unfamiliar places can be scary to your pet which can lead to your pet running away.

Remember these tips while grilling:

  • Do not wear loose clothing while cooking at a barbeque.
  • Never grill in an enclosed area, as carbon monoxide could be produced.
  • Use caution when using lighter fluid on a barbeque. Do not add fluid to an already lit fire, as the flame can flashback into the container and explode.
  • Make sure children are away from the grill.

Have fun this summer and stay safe!

Kitchen Fire Tips

12/14/2017 (Permalink)

Did you know...

A majority of fires that take place in homes begin in the kitchen.

The holiday season is approaching, which means that many of us will be spending a lot more time in the kitchen. This also means that, with every pumpkin pie and each batch of Christmas cookies you make, there is a greater risk of a fire emergency. 

Aside from calling 9-1-1, which should be one of your first moves, here are some quick tips for dealing with a fire emergency in your kitchen.

  1. Always watch your cooking; don't leave anything unattended
  2. Set a timer so that you don't accidentally burn something or forget that an appliance is being used
  3. If something on the stove catches on fire and it is small, cover it with a lid and turn off the burner
  4. Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen near your cooking area where it is easily accessible
  5. Add baking soda to a grease fire, not water
  6. Clean your appliances regularly so that grease does not accumulate and start a fire
  7. Clean and dust around and behind appliances, as dust accumulation can cause fires if it is close to electrical wiring
  8. Keep flammable objects away from cooking appliances, especially those things like tea towels and potholders 
  9. Install a smoke alarm in your kitchen
  10. Test your smoke alarms and make sure they will work when you most need them!

Keep these quick tips in mind, and prevent a major fire damage emergency from taking place in your home this season!

Holiday Fires - Christmas Tree Fire Safety

11/16/2016 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Holiday Fires - Christmas Tree Fire Safety Christmas Tree Fire Safety

Statistics from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) show the holidays are a high-risk time for home fires. Christmas trees are responsible for 240 home fires each year, and other holiday decorations are the cause of another 1,170 fires.

Here are some tips to keep your home safe this holiday season: 

•Check the stand daily to make sure that the level of water does not go below the base of the tree.

•Keep trees at least three feet away from major sources of heat (fireplaces, heaters, heat vents, and direct sunlight). Lowering the room temperature will slow the drying process.

•Use lights that produce low heat, such as miniature lights, to reduce drying of the tree.

•Always inspect light sets before placing them on the tree. If worn, replace with a new set.

•Do not overload electrical circuits.

•Always turn off the tree lights when leaving the house or when going to bed.

•Monitor the tree for freshness. After Christmas or if the tree is dry, remove it from the house.

•Install and ensure smoke alarms work inside and outside each bedroom and sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home, including the basement.

If you have a fire, call SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney. We make it like it never even happened.

What to do in case of a fire

11/16/2016 (Permalink)

What You Should Do When Dealing with Fire Damage in Your Home

Life has enough interruptions and bumps along the way without the unwanted disaster of a house fire. The aftermath is almost as bad but much longer-lasting. Even small fires can merit the use of a professional restoration company. Cooking fires that spread beyond the stove, barbecue grills that go haywire, and even small appliances that catch fire can cause damage to surrounding areas. 

Small Fires can Pose High Risks 

While you should never pour water on a grease fire, nor on an electrical one, many times that is a person's first reaction anywhere. This can cause even more damage. Cooking fires and electrical shorts are common causes of Montgomery County fire damages. It can also create physical risks to people standing nearby. With grease fires, baking soda should be poured into the skillet and any grease or oil that has caught fire outside of the cooking pan or skillet instead of water. 

With electrical fires, the appliance should be unplugged if it can be safely done, but not by pulling on the cord. This can cause the cord to snap, leaving the plug, without the cord, still in the outlet. The power to the area where this is happening should be shut off at the fuse box as quickly as possible to eliminate the hazard. 

After the Fire is Out, It's Time to Repair the Damage 

When there's been a localized fire, you should have someone assess the damages for you. This can often help with insurance documentation. Landlords, if you are renting, will also appreciate if you inform them of the fire, and they can see the damage for themselves. It is every landlord's worst nightmare to have a fire or flood damage their properties. If they can see the amount of damage, they can rest easier knowing the extent of the repairs required. Fires do happen, through nobody's fault, and your landlord will know this. 

Damage can range from blackened walls and countertops to heavily burned surfaces, electrical wires being damaged and requiring replacement, to floors suffering damage so severe they must be replaced to be safe again. Having experts conduct the repairs needed can greatly facilitate insurance claims being resolved, as well. 

Locally Owned Company with National Resources

At SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney, we have highly trained and skilled professionals who are experienced in all sizes of fire damage clean-up and restoration. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help you clean-up and repair fire damage, no matter how large or small. Call us at (301) 340-1313 to get the necessary damages repaired and the mess eliminated so you can go back to your daily routine.