Preparing for Winter Weather
Winter weather is coming...are you prepared for anything?
Most of us would probably rather hibernate for the winter than deal with any of the home maintenance tasks that come along with owning property during the wintry months.
We at SERVPRO of Rockville-Olney would like to remind you that your winter will be much better if you take steps now to prevent any winter weather-related disasters or accidents happening in your home!
Here are some helpful tips for winter preparedness in the coming weeks...
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes that could freeze.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off."
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
Don't overlook these tips this year as you head into the winter months and holiday season. Keep your home safe and secure so that you can focus staying warm and cozy with your loved ones this winter!